Insomnia is one of the most common sleep disorders that exists, and perhaps that is why we rarely give it the importance it deserves. In any case, it is necessary to identify the cause that originates it to know if it is the product of something circumstantial or deserves the help of a doctor. If it is related to bad habits, a drastic change in our daily routine, stress or another similar reason, then there are ways to counteract it on your own.
Wondering how to make relaxing teas for a deep sleep ? Well, put on your pajamas and keep reading our article to learn how to relax with some delicious easy teas. Happy rest!
Chamomile tea is a home remedy traditionally used against insomnia due to its relaxing and calming properties . To enhance its effect you can take a warm shower or prepare a tub bath and add a few drops of chamomile essence. You can also flavor your room with the same product. A pleasant sleeping environment, without a doubt, complements the benefits of this drink. Prepare this classic chamomile tea following the step by step that we leave you below:
- 1 liter of water
- 1 handful of chamomile flowers
- Honey or stevia (optional)
- Heat the water in a saucepan that is deep. Wait until it reaches its boiling point (the first bubbles), but do not let it boil.
- Add the chamomile and let it rest in the water. Wait at least 10 minutes for all the properties of the flower to be absorbed. If you use chamomile in sachets, 10 minutes of rest will be enough.
- Strain the tea and serve it. You can sweeten it with 1 tsp of honey or with 1 tablet of stevia. Most sleep infusions should be taken 30 minutes before bed, for 15 days or more, with a few exceptions.
- Serves 5 people.
And if you also want to know how to make chamomile tea to lose weight , don’t miss this article.
Golden milk , golden milk or golden latte , is an Ayurvedic drink famous for its multiple medicinal properties , which include a relaxing effect that induces a good rest. This is logical, since many of its ingredients are usually used individually in the different sleeping drinks: cardamom, cayenne, vanilla and milk (only soy, oatmeal or cow as they contain tryptophan).
Turmeric on the other hand provides anti-inflammatory properties, improves digestion and alleviates any digestive disorder. Follow the next step by step and prepare this comforting and relaxing drink:
- 2 cups of milk (animal or vegetable)
- 2 grains of green cardamom
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 piece of vanilla pod (optional)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground or grated ginger
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp coconut sugar, agave syrup, honey, or other natural sweetener.
- Heat the milk over medium heat together with the following ingredients: the cinnamon, the opened vanilla bean and the opened cardamom grains.
- Wait until it reaches its boiling point, without letting it boil. Right at that moment (the bubbles will still be small), turn the heat down.
- Deposit the rest of the ingredients. Stir very well and cook it for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Strain the preparation and serve in a cup. Garnish by sprinkling cinnamon on top.
- Makes 2 people.
In this article we show you how to make golden milk the easy way . Let’s cook!
Tip: many of the plants that we have discussed induce sleep, but it does not yet have scientific confirmation.
The Jamaica flower (Abyssinian rose or Jamaican rose) is a plant native to Africa, famous for its medicinal properties , including its calming effect, ideal for combating insomnia. This flower is characterized by its high content of minerals, and some of them influence a good rest, such as: iron, magnesium, calcium and selenium.
Now, infusions in general can be taken cold or hot, but in this article we propose a cold version designed for hot seasons, when it is difficult to fall asleep and you hardly want to drink something hot. According to Dr. Eduard Estivill, a specialist in sleep disorders, heat qualifies as one of the main disturbances that prevent you from falling asleep. So, if you need drinks to sleep through the night, that are refreshing and calming, try this recipe by following the step by step:
- 15 gr of Jamaica flower
- 1250 ml of water
- Sugar to taste)
- Ice (to taste)
- Put the water and the Jamaica flower in a deep saucepan, heat over high heat. When the infusion begins to boil, turn off the heat and let it steep for 2 hours or until it cools completely.
- Strain, sweeten and serve. Add some ice cubes if you feel like it, don’t overdo it.
- Makes 4 people
Although peppermint is best known for its digestion benefits, it also works as an effective pain reliever. This herb prepared as a home remedy facilitates falling asleep, as it reduces agitation due to its relaxing effect . Take note of the following easy step by step:
- 5 mint leaves
- 1 cup of water (240 ml)
- 1 stevia tablet or 1 tsp honey
- Heat the water along with the fresh mint leaves. Wait until it reaches its boiling point and when the bubbles are still small, from that moment, leave it for 5 more minutes. If you are using peppermint tea bags, wait until the water reaches that point, turn off the heat, pour the water into a mug, and add them.
- Strain the peppermint tea and let it steep for 5 minutes. After this time, serve it in a cup and sweeten it if you want.
- Makes 1 person.
Although there are still no conclusive studies on the influence of celery on falling asleep, as a home remedy it has a very good reputation. Many people claim that this sleep infusion helps them fall asleep more easily . If you want to check its effectiveness comparing it with other drinks to sleep through the night, just follow the step by step of this recipe:
- 1 stick of celery
- 2 liters of water
- Wash the celery very well. Then cut the white base of the vegetable, just keep the stems and leaves for the tea.
- Heat the water and just when it boils, add the celery pieces. Cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- After time, strain the tea and serve. Sweeten if you feel like it and take it 30 minutes before going to sleep.
- Makes 1 person.
Sage is another of the herbs for sleep, well known for its benefits for the body, although most of these are still under study. This herb is said to have relaxing and anxiolytic action , making it a good relaxing tea for the nerves. However, not all varieties of sage have the same properties, we note that some can even be toxic. Salvia officinalis is what we find in the supermarket or in specialized stores.
If you make sage tea to sleep, drink no more than one glass per day, or for more than 15 days. Try this drink by doing these easy steps:
- 1 liter of water
- 10 sage leaves
- 1 lemon
- 4 bay leaves
- Some sweetener (honey, stevia, others)
- Boil the water in a deep saucepan. Wait until it reaches the boiling point, but do not bring it to a full boil, before moving on to the next step.
- Add the sage, bay leaves, and lemon juice . Cook for another 15-20 minutes before removing the infusion from the heat.
- Let the relaxing infusion sit for 5 minutes . After that time strain, serve and sweeten if you feel like it.
- Makes 6 people.
Lemon balm infusion
Melissa not only has a calming effect, but also improves the quality of sleep thanks to its phenolic compounds , especially thanks to rosmarinic acid, which is characterized by its calming and sedative effects.
As if that were not enough, we could qualify this drink as one of the most aromatic and tasty sleeping teas out there due to its characteristic citrus tones. Try the following easy steps:
- 1 cup of hot water
- 3 tbsp lemon balm leaves (dried or fresh)
- Heat water. Wait until it reaches its boiling point, but don’t let it boil.
- Add the lemon balm leaves. Cover the casserole and let the preparation rest for a few minutes.
- Pass the infusion through a strainer, and serve. If you want you can sweeten it. Take it 2 times a day for 15 days and one of those times, take it 30 minutes before going to bed.
- Makes 1 person.
Lavender infusion is very popular among relaxing teas to sleep well, it is considered a relaxant par excellence, because even its aroma has a calming effect . Prepare this lavender infusion following the step by step below:
- 3 tbsp dried lavender flowers
- 1 cup of hot water
- Cook water in a saucepan, until it almost boils. When you see small bubbles in the background, it will be time to put out the fire.
- Add the dried flowers to the hot water. Let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Strain and serve. This infusion can be taken hot or cold, it all depends on the weather.
- Makes 1 person.
Tip: do not exceed the recommended dose.
Some say that this home remedy is part of sleep teas. Well, although there are no recognized studies on this subject, it is known that banana contains compounds related to the induction of sleep , such as magnesium, potassium and high levels of tryptophan. Follow our detailed instructions in the following easy step by step:
- 1 banana
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 cup of water
- Wash the banana very well. You must do it very scrupulously, because you will also use the peel.
- Cut off the ends. Discard those parts, but leave the rest of the fruit whole.
- Pour the water into a saucepan, and add the banana. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain and serve. Add 1 pinch of cinnamon, stir and drink 20-30 minutes before going to sleep.
- Do you want to accompany this banana tea along with a delicious banana bread ? Don’t miss out on this recipe!
Among relaxing teas for a good night’s sleep, valerian ranks high because of the fame that accompanies it. However, according to the Mayo Clinic (Bauer 2018), although some studies show that people who used valerian as a relaxant had less anxiety and stress , other studies did not show any benefit. Try this infusion to sleep by following each step of this recipe:
10 gr of valerian root
500 ml of water
- Pour the water into a saucepan and wait until it starts to boil. Add the valerian and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the infusion rest for 5 minutes. After that time strain, serve and sweeten.
- Makes 2 people.
- What do you think of this article of recipes for relaxing teas to sleep? Tell us your opinion in the comments.
If you liked the article Relaxing teas for sleeping , we suggest you enter our Tea category .
- Bauer, BA (2018, March 2). Herbal treatment for anxiety: is it effective? Mayo Clinic.
- Zanin, T. (2021a, May 6). Melissa (Melissa): what is it for and how to prepare it. Tua Saúde.
- Sollozo, M., Estrada, E., & López, C. (2011, August 1). Traditional medicine: preclinical studies of plants with anxiolytic properties.
- Spanish Alzheimer’s Confederation. (2014, September 8). Turmeric, a powerful antidepressant. News – CEAFA.
- Baker, MRN (2017, January 13). Does turmeric have medicinal effects? Scientific American – Spanish.
- Carvajal, O., Waliszewski, S., & Infanzón, RM (2006, August). The uses and wonders of Jamaica. Science and man.
- Zanin, T. (2021b, June 22). Peppermint: what it is for, benefits and how to prepare tea. Tua Saúde.